Learn about the benefits of using natural sunscreens instead of synthetic ones. Plus, discover the best sunscreens in 2023.
Excessive sun exposure can harm the skin and can alter cell structure. Potentially leading to premature aging, wrinkling, and dark spots.
So, how can you prevent this?
Simply put, the best option is to be proactive and use natural sunscreens that not only protect you from the sun, but also nourish your skin. Now that the sun is out in full force, it’s time to get out and enjoy the sunshine in all its glory.
Here's a quick overview of what we'll cover in this post:
- How the Sun Damages Your Skin
- The Truth About Conventional Sunscreens
- The Benefits of Using Natural Sunscreens
- Top Suncare Tips
- Best Natural Sunscreen Products
How Does the Sun Affect Your Skin?
Sunlight rays contain both UVA and UVB rays. Both of which have the potential to be harmful to the skin. Though the UVB rays are typically responsible for your sunburn, it’s the UVA rays you should be more concerned about.
UVA rays can damage your skin more stealthily by suppressing the immune system and aging the skin over time.
This is why it is so important to take proper precautions if you’re going to be out and about.
Top Tip: Be sure to look for broad-spectrum sunscreens, like the Derma E Natural Mineral Sunscreen, as they offer UVA and UVB protection.
That being said, it's worth noting that not all sunscreens are created equal. Especially, when you're comparing natural sunscreens against synthetic ones.
The Benefits of Natural Sunscreens
Now onto the good stuff. Organic sun care products are usually filled with healthy, natural ingredients. In some cases, you may be able to skip your regular skincare products, since you'll be getting all the same benefits already.
Here are just a few of the amazing ingredients that can be found in natural sunscreens:
- Zinc oxide
- Aloe vera
- Coconut oil
- Jojoba oil
- Shea butter
- Seabuckthorn berry extracts
- Green tea extract
- Eucalyptus oil
- Sunflower oil
- Citrus fruit extracts
Compare that to some of the chemicals that can make up the bulk of conventional sunscreens: oxybenzone, retinyl palmitate, retinyl linoleate, avobenzone, octisalate, octocrylene, homosalate, and octinoxate.
(Bonus points for you if you can pronounce any of those words correctly...)
Natural sunscreens are the better choice.
Top Suncare Tips for Summer
Here are a few extra sun care tips to help protect your skin this summer.
- Use 15 to 20 minutes before heading outdoors
- Apply to clean, dry skin
- Use a facial sunscreen for your face - They are typically lighter and less likely to cause breakouts
- Although many natural sunscreens can be water-resistant, it's usually best to reapply after swimming
- Don't forget to apply sunscreen to your feet, ears, and behind your neck
- Wear a hat and sunglasses for further sun protection
Now that you know why natural sunscreens are the better option, you might be wondering what the top natural sunscreen brands are...
Don't worry, we have you covered. (Pun intended.)
Here are some of our favourite natural sunscreens:
Sunscreens for Your Face:
1. Attitude SPF 30 100% Mineral Sunscreen Adult Face Stick. This sunscreen is natural and provides broad-spectrum UVA and UVB protection. It also contains olive oil and shea butter to help keep your skin hydrated and beautiful.
2. Mad Hippie Facial SPF 30+ UVA/UVB. Containing Zinc Oxide, antioxidant-rich oils, vitamin c, and e amongst other good ingredients. One of our customers, Monique, says "My skin is very sensitive and the cream doesn’t cause a reaction..." So if you have sensitive skin, definitely consider using this product.
Best Sunscreens for Your Body:
1. Derma E Natural Mineral Sunscreen Body Lotion SPF 30. This sunscreen is made from clear, nanoparticle-free Zinc Oxide to provide safe, chemical-free broad-spectrum UVA and UVB protection. It's also vegan and free of parabens, gluten, GMOs, and fragrances.
2. Green Beaver Natural Mineral Sunscreen Lotion SPF 40. Green Beaver mineral sunscreens are packed with natural, gluten-free ingredients. This will offer sun protection while simultaneously moisturizing. (How much more could you ask for?)
Sunscreens for Kids:
This is an option for kids that you can hardly get to stay still enough to eat, let alone put on sunscreen. The continuous spray allows you to apply quickly and easily so they can play in the sun while protected from UVA and UVB rays. It's also made from natural zinc and titanium minerals and is free from any harmful chemicals.
2. Attitude Baby & Kids Sensitive Skin Mineral Sunscreen Fragrance-Free SPF 30. This is an absolute must for any kids with sensitive skin. It is enriched with 1% colloidal oatmeal, which is a natural medicinal ingredient recognized by Health Canada and known to help relieve symptoms caused by baby eczema and skin irritations. And of course, it's made from the highest quality natural ingredients.
We hope you learned something about the benefits of natural sunscreens. If you want to take a look at our full sunscreen collection, you can do so here.
Also, if you'd like to learn more about some of the products mentioned above, check out our Natural Sunscreens Review here:
Finally, here's to a fun, sun-safe summer!
P.S. Leave a comment below letting us know what your favourite sun care tips are!