Vacations offer many opportunities to overindulge and stray from your everyday healthy routine. Here are 6 tips to help you stay healthy while travelling so you can come home feeling better than when you left!
When you're getting ready for a trip, it's easy to get caught up in the excitement and forget about your health. But if you want to make sure that you enjoy your journey, it's important to think about how you'll stay well while on the road.
Here are 6 of our top tips for staying healthy while travelling.
6 Best Ways to Stay Healthy While Travelling
1. Stay Sun Safe
Did you know that getting just one sunburn every two years triples your risk of melanoma skin cancer? UV rays from the sun and the combined effect of multiple sunburns over your life dramatically increase skin cancer risk.
For this reason, we recommend using a natural broad-spectrum sunscreen every day, even on cloudy days. It's also important to remember that water-resistant sunscreen is not waterproof—you'll need to reapply it after swimming or sweating.
Additionally, don't forget to wear protective clothing like sunglasses and broad-brimmed hats, and stay in the shade during peak sun hours.
We know this can be hard to remember, but you can keep your skin healthy for years with some planning and extra effort!
(If you get a sunburn by accident, here are a few natural remedies to help heal your skin.)
2. Treat Your Skin Right
Vacation season is here, and it's time to get your skin ready for the heat!
If you've got oily or acne-prone skin, summer is a great time to try out moisturizers and other products that help keep your face hydrated. It's important to use products that don't clog pores so that your skin can breathe.
If you're looking for new makeup products, look for ones labelled "non-comedogenic" or "non-acnegenic." These formulas are designed not to clog pores and cause breakouts.
Finally, make sure you treat your skin right after sun exposure. You should always use sunscreen before going outside. Still, after spending time in the sun, you should also apply an after-sun treatment as soon as possible. The best ones contain hyaluronic acid, which helps lock in moisture while reducing inflammation and redness caused by sunburns.
3. Don't Overindulge
Travelling can be a lot of fun, but it can also leave you feeling tired and run down if you're not careful.
One of the best ways to stay healthy while travelling is to avoid overindulging. This doesn't mean skipping out on the fun—it just means that you should try not to overdo it on indulgences.
By all means, eat the fantastic food at your destination. But remember that overeating can make you feel sluggish and tired, so try to enjoy your favourite dishes in moderation.
If you're going out drinking and dancing, drink enough water before and during your night out to avoid dehydration (which will make you feel even worse). And remember that alcohol is dehydrating—it'll make it harder for your body to process all the delicious food around you!
4. Stay Hydrated
Staying hydrated is one of the most important things you can do while travelling—not only for your physical health but also for your mental health. When you're dehydrated, it's harder to think clearly and focus on what matters to you. And that's not something anyone wants while they're enjoying their vacation!
So how do you keep yourself hydrated to stay healthy while travelling? It's easier than you think! Here are a few tips:
- Bring your own water bottle. You'll be able to fill it up at any water fountain or tap (if the water is safe to drink at your destination). This will save money and reduce waste from buying disposable bottles all over town!
- Drink lots of water before, during, and after activities like hiking or sightseeing to be well-hydrated all day long.
- Keep yourself hydrated by eating plenty of fruits and vegetables throughout the day. You can even consider juicing them for an even quicker way to get some extra nutrients into those busy days.
5. Pack the Right Supplements and Medications
Travelling can be a lot of fun, but it's also stressful. There's a lot going on: new places and people, different food and water sources, and the risk of getting sick or injured.
One thing you probably don't want to worry about while exploring the world is your health. That's why it's essential to pack the right supplements and medications to keep you feeling 100% while you're away from home.
To help you out, we've put together a list of things that will help you stay healthy while travelling.
- First, make sure you bring any medications you need. If you have any chronic conditions like high blood pressure or diabetes, make sure your doctor has given you the go-ahead to travel with them.
- If you're taking supplements like probiotics, make sure they're labelled "travel-friendly." If not, ask your doctor about what kind would be good for you so that they don't spoil in transit.
- It's also a good idea to bring along some vitamin B supplements. These vitamins can help stave off fatigue during long flights or car trips so that you stay energized throughout your journey!
6. Stay Active
It can be hard to stay healthy when you're on the go. But that doesn't mean that you need to skip out on exercise altogether. Here are a few ways to stay active when travelling:
- Go for a walk. You don't even have to go far—just walk around the block at least once every day. You'll get some fresh air and burn calories while also moving your muscles and joints.
- Get up early and do some yoga or stretching in your hotel room before breakfast. It will help with circulation and keep you limber as well as relaxed.
- If there's a gym nearby, try working out there (or do some laps in the pool). If there isn't one nearby, look for some parks or green spaces where you can run or walk for free!
- Pack portable fitness gear that doesn't take up too much extra space and is easy to use anywhere.
We hope these tips helped you figure out how to maintain a balance between your everyday routine and the new experiences you have while travelling.
Whether you're away for the weekend or somewhere else in the world, you will always feel your best when eating well, exercising, and taking care of your body.
If you haven't already been doing these things, now is the perfect time to start!
Finally, check out our website for more wellness products that can help you stay healthy while travelling.