Learn why your body needs water, how you lose it, the benefits of staying hydrated, and easy tips for boosting your daily water intake.
As you finish your morning run, the most refreshing thought is not just about stopping to take a breath. Water, the elixir of life, is magical for the thirsty.
However, people often fail to understand the importance of staying hydrated, deciding to sip into it only when extremely thirsty.
With the advent of technology and a sedentary lifestyle, we often lose focus on the need to drink sufficient water. As a newborn, we are made up of nearly 75% water, which slowly reduces to 60% as we become adults.
If you've ever wondered about how much water you should drink per day, this post is for you. We will go over why your body needs water, how you lose it, the benefits of staying hydrated, and easy tips for boosting your daily water intake.
Let's get started!
How Much Water Should You Drink Per Day?
Why You Need Water to Survive
You need water to carry essential nutrients to every part of your body and remove waste products. It helps maintain body temperature and plays a vital role in many chemical reactions in the body. Water is also an excellent lubricant and works as an effective shock absorber in the joints.
How Your Body Loses Water
Every time you sweat, pass urine or even breathe, you are continually using up our body's water resource. Since the body is regularly using up water, there is a need to replenish it. When this fine balance is affected, and there is a depletion in the water level, it could lead to dehydration. Likewise, drinking water will increase water levels, as in extreme cases, dehydration is fatal.
How Much Water Should You Drink?
The amount of water that you need will vary based on various factors. However, dieticians of Canada recommend the following estimated guidelines:
- Men- 3 litres (12 cups)
- Women- 2.2 litres (9 cups)
Who is the Most Vulnerable for Dehydration?
People involved in intense physical labour or those who work out excessively need to watch out for dehydration. However, as age advances, the elderly are less aware of dehydration symptoms and may miss the initial signs.
This makes the elderly and children at a higher risk of dehydration and warrants pro-active measures to stay hydrated.
Benefits of Drinking Optimum Levels of Water
Here are some of the benefits of drinking water at regular intervals throughout the day.
1) Healthy skin: With all toxins removed, and with water promoting better blood circulation, your skin will tend to look healthy and supple.
2) Kidney stones: Regular intake of water can help to reduce the risk of kidney stones.
3) Bowel movements: Water intake will also help with constipation. People with constipation often find a resolution when they drink copious amounts of water.
4) Cancer: Some scientific studies have shown that drinking sufficient water will also help prevent colorectal and bladder cancer. However, not all studies have confirmed this.
Tips to Stay Hydrated
It is difficult for some people to remember to take a sip or two during the day. Here are some tips to stay hydrated!
1) Find your water balance: Though there are guidelines for how much water you need to drink, you may need more if you exercise a lot, or your work involves strenuous activity. You know you are drinking sufficient water if your pee is light yellow or clear.
2) Keep a bottle of water on your table: Get yourself a bottle to fill up and place on your table every morning. Don't let anybody else drink from that. Remember to finish it by the end of the day. An attractive bottle will act as a constant reminder to drink up.
3) Choose other hydration sources: Water may be the best source, but some people feel the need to look for alternate sources. This brings variety and will help you stay motivated about proper hydration. Tea, low-sugar fruit juices, even whole fruits and vegetables are sources of water. Wine has a lot of health benefits, but drinking too much of that is not good. Using a wine sipper will help control how much you drink, though. Just remember to keep a note of how many times you refill!
4) Get a travel mug: If your work involves running around, get a handy travel mug. You can place this in your car or even in your bag. This works great if you want to carry your tea or beverage with you. Most people involved in sales and marketing find themselves parched due to lack of time to sit down for a coffee cup. Taking your coffee with you could help with that.
Water is essential for well-being, but it is also necessary to ensure that you keep your bottle clean. A good brush down is mandatory, every once in a while.
There are many benefits of drinking water, and how much you need depends on your lifestyle. Watch out for early signs of dehydration and drink to your health!