Whey Protein Isolate vs. Whey Protein Concentrate


Whey protein is an easily digestible protein that has been a staple in the diets of not only body builders, but in the diets of athletes and fitness enthusiasts. Whey protein is made with the liquid left over during the cheese making process, after the curds have been removed. It can be yielded in concentrate, isolate, or hydrolysate form – the two most common types being whey proteins isolate and whey proteins concentrate.

The Benefits of Whey Protein

A few of the benefits of whey protein include that it helps with:

  • Asthma
  • High cholesterol
  • Obesity
  • Weight loss
  • Preventing allergies
  • Colon cancer
  • Weight loss
  • Increasing muscle mass
  • Increasing immune function
  • Maximizing power while doing physical activity

Moreover, whey is a source of complete protein – one that contains all nine amino acids essential for body growth and development. Though it has a variety of health benefits and is a complete protein, whey protein cannot be used as a meal replacement. Instead, it is a great addition to supplement your diet with.

The Difference Between Whey Protein Isolate and Whey Protein Concentrate



There are pros and cons of whey protein isolate and whey protein concentrate that you should consider when choosing a protein powder. In many cases whey protein concentrate is cheaper than buying whey protein isolate. Whey protein concentrate is normally around 80% pure protein; the remaining 20% of the protein are minerals, fats, lactose, and various immune-enhancing peptides. Whey concentrate contains more lactose making it a more whole food than whey isolate.

Whey protein isolate is a form of protein that is virtually fat free. This makes it more appealing for people who are trying to lose weight. In isolate form, whey protein is about 90% protein, with significantly less fat and lactose than whey protein concentrate. This quality makes whey isolate more appealing to those who are lactose intolerant, or to people looking to shed a few pounds. The purity of the whey protein isolate does, however, make it vaguely more bitter in taste.

When choosing between whey protein concentrate and whey protein isolate, it is important to consider what your health goals are. If you are simply using the protein as a day-to-day supplement, or as a means to put on more weight, try whey protein concentrate. This will provide you with immune-boosting peptides, a feeling of fullness, and it will be cheaper compared to whey protein isolate.

If you will be using whey protein for a means of getting the most protein with the least fat or lactose, whey protein isolate is the way to go.  Whey isolate will give you some of the immune-boosting peptides of whey concentrate, with less fat and lactose, and more protein.

Which whey protein is for you?