Many women – and an increasingly large number of men – put a real premium on being thorough with their skin care routines these days. That’s a wise choice, particularly with the fact there are more environmental stressors around us than ever before. If you want to have healthy looking skin that’s blemish-free and ages well, you need to put in time and effort.
You’d be hard pressed to find anyone who’s not very familiar with the song ‘Gangnam Style.’ Psy has become quite the international celebrity with his hit songs, which also include ‘Gentlemen’ and ‘Hangover’ (featuring the inimitable Snoop Dog), but it’s not only K-Pop that’s considered a hot export from The Land of the Morning Calm.
Korean women are very dedicated to their effective facial skin care regimens, and very demanding when it comes to their skin care products. Today, we’re going to detail the 10-Step Korean Skin Care Routine in the interest of giving you a chance to try it and decide for yourself if it’s an effective way to improve skin condition.
You’ll also be deciding whether or not it’s worth it to spend so much time going through an intensive daily skin care routine. However, if what we read is correct, then apparently it’s entirely worth it and a proven way to have better facial skin.
Before we proceed to Step 1, we’ll mention what should be an obvious consideration. Using quality skin care products from a reputable brand that are proven effective is a must. By incorporating higher quality ingredients and constituents into their facial skin care products, they offer consumers products that are more ‘potent’ for cleaning, purifying, and rejuvenating your facial skin.
Alright, let’s begin with this highly recommended skincare routine.
Step 1 – Apply Oil Cleanser
Some refer to this stage as the “pre cleanse” and it’s step one of the double cleansing method. This method involves washing the face first with a water-soluble, oil-based cleanser before following that up with a foaming cleanser. The belief is that this approach is much more effective for removing makeup residue, oils that clog pores, and general dirt and contaminants from the face. An oil-based cleanser is best for removing face oil.
1. Be sure your face is dry 2. Gently massage cleanser over face for 1 minute 3. Allow cleanser to sit on face for 1 additional minute 4. Rinse off with warm water 5. Pat dry face OPTIONAL 6. Dampen face with water 7. Dispense small amount of foaming cleanser into palm of your hand 8. Add a small splash of water, not too much 9. Rub hands together to build up the foam 9. Repeat steps 2 through 5
Step 2 – Apply Water-Based Cleanser
Use a water-based cleanser on a damp face to lift away residual dirt and oil and prepare your face for the application of the products that follow in this routine.
1. Be sure your face is dry 2. Gently massage cleanser over face for 1 minute 3. Allow cleanser to sit on your face for 1 additional minute 4. Rinse off with warm water 5. Pat dry face
Step 3 – Exfoliation
This step involves exfoliating 3 or 4 times week in before and after the actual cleansing steps, and not during the routine itself. It’s important to do this and as frequently as suggested, because a quality exfoliant is necessary to remove dead skin cells that are likely to block pores, lead to breakouts, and hinder your skin’s ability to absorb helpful ingredients
Step 4 – Apply Toner
Be sure to choose an alcohol-free toner, and ideally one that’s optimized for hydration and prepping the skin to receive successive therapeutic products.
1. Be sure your face is dry 2. Gently massage toner over face for 1 minute 3. Allow toner to remain on face until fully absorbed, do not rinse toner off your face
Step 5 – Apply Essence
Using a facial skin essence is growing in popularity in North America, but it’s long been a standard in Asia. Essences are formulated to hydrate the skin and add the first layer of active therapeutic ingredients.
1. Be sure your face is dry 2. Gently massage essence over face for 1 minute 3. Allow essence to remain on face until fully absorbed, do not rinse essence off your face
Step 6 – Apply Serum
A quality facial serum does wonders for promoting your skin’s natural rejuvenation processes. As always, don’t be convinced by the price tag on an inferior product. Your skin is a big part of your beauty equation, and as such you need to insist on the finest products!
1. Be sure your face is dry 2. Gently massage serum over face for 1 minute 3. Allow serum to remain on face until fully absorbed, do not rinse serum off your face
Step 7 – Apply Ampoule
Same story here for this type of facial skin care product – a quality facial ampoule provides super-concentrated amounts of active ingredients
1. Be sure your face is dry 2. Gently massage ampoule over face for 1 minute 3. Allow ampoule to remain on face until fully absorbed, do not rinse ampoule off your face
Step 8 – Apply Mask
There are different types of facial masks for you to choose, based on your skin type and specific results you’re looking for. The most common are facial sheet masks that will typically rest on your face for 20 minutes or longer (follow instructions on package), and point masks, which are applied to specific areas and generally will not be left on the face for any extended period of time.
1. Be sure your face is dry 2. Apply mask to face, moving into place lightly and allowing it to adhere naturally on its own, do not press into place 3. Allow mask to remain on face for as long as indicated on packaging, before remove slowly and gently
Step 9 – Apply Eye Cream
The skin around your eyes is typically the first region where signs of aging appear. A quality eye cream should always be a part of your skin care product collection, and applied daily if you’re going to adhere to this Korean skin care program.
1. Be sure your face is dry 2. Gently massage eye cream to areas around eyes for 1 minute 3. Allow eye cream to remain on face until fully absorbed, do not rinse eye cream off your face
Step 10 – Apply Moisturizer and Sunscreen
This step is definitely one that you can categorize to be of the ‘last but not least’ variety. A quality facial moisturizer will keep your skin hydrated throughout the day, and a quality facial sunscreen will shield your skin from the harmful effects of UV rays – which your skin is exposed to every second you’re outdoors and can fast track aging and degeneration of the skin.
2. Be sure your face is dry 2. Gently massage moisturizer over face 3. Allow moisturizer to remain on face until fully absorbed, do not rinse moisturizer off your face 4. Spread sunscreen over face, working into skin for maximum absorption at least 30 minutes prior to leaving your home.
Follow this routine regularly and – if our Korean friends are to be believed – and you’ll soon have the most radiant and visibly healthy visage around. And you’ll likely be thrilled to have discovered the 10-Step Korean Skin Care Routine!