Learn about the benefits of using natural sunscreens instead of synthetic ones. Plus, discover the best sunscreens in 2022.
Excessive sun exposure harms the skin and can alter cell structure. Usually, this leads to premature aging, wrinkling, and dark spots. Basically, a whole lot of bad stuff...
So, how can you prevent this?
Simply put, the best option is to be proactive and use natural sunscreens that not only protect you from the sun, but also nourish your skin. Now that the sun is out in full force, it’s time to get out and enjoy the sunshine in all its glory.
Benefits of Natural Sunscreens + Best Sunscreens in 2022
Here's a quick overview of what we'll cover in this post:
- How the Sun Damages Your Skin
- The Truth About Conventional Sunscreens
- The Benefits of Using Natural Sunscreens
- Top Suncare Tips
- Best Natural Sunscreen Products
How Does the Sun Affect Your Skin?
Sunlight rays contain both UVA and UVB rays. Both of which have the potential to be harmful to the skin. Though the UVB rays are typically responsible for your sunburn, it’s the UVA rays you should be more concerned about.
UVA rays can damage your skin more stealthily by suppressing the immune system and aging the skin over time. Additionally, and what's more concerning, is the fact that being overexposed to UVA rays can promote the development of skin cancer, in some cases.
This is why it is so important to take proper precautions if you’re going to be out and about.
Top Tip: Be sure to look for broad-spectrum sunscreens, like the Derma E Natural Mineral Sunscreen, as they offer UVA and UVB protection.
That being said, it's worth noting that not all sunscreens are created equal. Especially, when you're comparing natural sunscreens against synthetic ones.
Why You Should Switch to Natural Sunscreens
Many sunscreens on the market contain harsh chemicals that are harmful to your health. Oxybenzone, for instance, is a common ingredient in conventional sunscreens. It penetrates the skin, gets into the bloodstream and proceeds to act like estrogen in the body. Additionally, it’s a known endocrine disruptor and a skin allergen for many people. It’s nasty stuff and you really don’t want to be putting yourself in harm’s way.
(Especially if you're simply trying to get a suntan.)
Another one to watch out for is methylisothiazolinone, which is a harmful ingredient found in most sunscreens. Interestingly enough, it was voted 2013 Allergen of the Year by The American Contact Dermatitis Society... (Needless to say, that's not an accomplishment to be proud of and definitely not something you want to expose yourself to.) For these reasons (and many others), natural sunscreens are generally a better choice.
The Benefits of Natural Sunscreens
Now onto the good stuff. Organic sun care products are usually filled with healthy, natural, and skin-boosting ingredients. In some cases, you can even skip your regular skincare products, since you'll be getting all the same benefits already.
Here are just a few of the amazing ingredients that can be found in natural sunscreens:
- Zinc oxide
- Aloe vera
- Coconut oil
- Jojoba oil
- Shea butter
- Seabuckthorn berry extracts
- Green tea extract
- Eucalyptus oil
- Sunflower oil
- Citrus fruit extracts
Compare that to some of the chemicals that make up the bulk of conventional sunscreens: oxybenzone, retinyl palmitate, retinyl linoleate, avobenzone, octisalate, octocrylene, homosalate, and octinoxate.
(Bonus points for you if you can pronounce any of those words correctly...)
Clearly, natural sunscreens are the better choice.
Top Suncare Tips for Summer
Here are a few extra sun care tips to help protect your skin this summer.
- Apply in small amounts - You don’t need to slather it on like conventional sunscreens
- Use 15 to 20 minutes before heading outdoors
- Apply to clean, dry skin
- Use a facial sunscreen for your face - They are typically lighter and less likely to cause breakouts
- Although many natural sunscreens are water-resistant, it's always best to reapply after swimming
- Don't forget to apply sunscreen to your feet, ears, and behind your neck
- Always wear a hat and sunglasses for further sun protection
What are the Best Natural Sunscreens?
Now that you know why natural sunscreens are the better option, you might be wondering what the top natural sunscreen brands are...
Don't worry, we have you covered. (Pun totally intended.)
Here are some of our favourite natural sunscreens:
Best Sunscreens for Your Face:
1. Attitude SPF 30 100% Mineral Sunscreen Adult Face Stick. This sunscreen is all-natural and provides a safe, chemical-free broad-spectrum UVA and UVB protection that won't irritate your skin. It also contains olive oil, cocoa and shea butter to keep your skin hydrated and beautiful.
2. Mad Hippie Facial SPF 30+ UVA/UVB. Containing Zinc Oxide, antioxidant-rich oils, vitamin c and e amongst other good ingredients. this is an awesome natural sunscreen you can feel good about putting on your face. One of our customers, Monique, says "My skin is very sensitive and the cream doesn’t cause a reaction..." So if you have sensitive skin, definitely consider using this product.
Best Sunscreens for Your Body:
1. Derma E Natural Mineral Sunscreen Body Lotion SPF 30. This sunscreen is made from clear, nanoparticle-free Zinc Oxide to provide safe, chemical-free broad-spectrum UVA and UVB protection without clogging pores or irritating your skin. It's also vegan and free of parabens, gluten, GMOs, and fragrances so you can use it with peace of mind.
2. Green Beaver Natural Mineral Sunscreen Lotion SPF 40. Green Beaver mineral sunscreens are designed for all skin types. Packed with natural ingredients that are gluten-free, it will offer long-lasting sun protection while simultaneously moisturizing and preventing signs of aging. (How much more could you ask for?)
Best Sunscreens for Kids:
1. Goddess Garden Organics Kids Continuous Spray Natural Sunscreen SPF 30. This is the perfect option for kids that you can hardly get to stay still enough to eat, let alone put on sunscreen. The continuous spray allows you to apply quickly and easily so they can play in the sun while protected from UVA and UVB rays. It's also made from natural zinc and titanium minerals and free from any harmful chemicals.
2. Attitude Baby & Kids Sensitive Skin Mineral Sunscreen Fragrance-Free SPF 30. This is an absolute must for any kids with sensitive skin. It is enriched with 1% colloidal oatmeal, which is a natural medicinal ingredient recognized by Health Canada and known to help relieve symptoms caused by baby eczema and skin irritations. And of course, it's made from the highest quality natural ingredients.
We really hope you learned everything you need to know about the benefits of natural sunscreens. If you want to take a look at our full sunscreen collection, you can do so here.
Also, if you'd like to learn more about some of the products mentioned above, check out our Natural Sunscreens Review here:
Finally, here's to a fun, sun-safe summer!
P.S. Leave a comment below letting us know what your favourite sun care tips are!