If you are anything like me, the holidays are a hectic mess of holiday parties, shopping, and family gatherings. There are trees to decorate, gifts to wrap, and children to calm. Make sure to take time for your own relaxation, It is your holiday too! One of the ways I unwind (that happens too scarcely, I might add) is by the fireplace with a good book and a steaming eggnog latte in my hand (recipe at the bottom).
Coffee tastes so much better with creamy fats. Think of your delicious (but unhealthy) mix of sugar and cream in a Frappuccino. Eggnog, rich in eggs and cream, is one of the reasons why this latte is my Mom juice for the holidays. Here is a recipe for homemade, satisfying eggnog.
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1 ½ cups organic palm sugar to taste
- 5 whole cloves
- 2 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 12 egg yolks
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 cups cream
- ½ to 1 ½ cups of bourbon, to taste (optional)
- Combine milk, cloves, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, and cinnamon in a saucepan, and heat on low for 5 minutes. Slowly raise the temperature and bring milk mixture to a boil.
- In a large bowl, whisk egg yolks and sugar until the mixture is fluffy. Whisk hot milk mixture slowly into the eggs.
- Pour mixture into a saucepan. Cook on medium heat, stirring constantly for 3 minutes, or until thick. Do not allow mixture to boil. Strain to remove cloves, and let cool for approximately an hour.
- Stir in bourbon, cream, 2 teaspoon vanilla, and nutmeg. Bourbon is optional and will vary in accordance with taste. The bourbon can be overpowering, so start with 1/2 cup and work your way up. Refrigerate overnight before serving.
If you opt for non-alcoholic eggnog, it can be safely kept in the fridge for about a week. Alcohol prolongs the shelf life of your nog. I have never experienced a problem with expired eggnog, mostly because it is usually polished off with this Eggnog latte that I drink almost daily around Christmas.
- ½ cup fresh eggnog (see above)
- ½ cup of Bulletproof Upgraded Whole Bean Coffee
- Add ¼ cup whole milk
- Organic palm sugar to taste
Mix together eggnog, coffee, sugar, and milk in a pan and heat up. Pour into a mug and top with froth and nutmeg if desired.
Bulletproof coffee is the perfect blend to use in making a satisfying eggnog latte because it is designed to promote brain function and help control hunger. Bulletproof works well with healthy fats and mixing it with eggnog is one perfect combination. I love to drink this latte in the afternoon when I usually reach for my second cup of coffee. Not only does it give me the energy to continue the rest of my day, but also tastes great!
Enjoy your holidays!